Preparedness

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_econjon_*

Guest_econjon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

[This thread was resurrected and tacked to the top of the forum on 29 Mar 11 in recognition of the perilous economic situation we find ourselves in today with the looming, multiple threats of the fall of the dollar, its removal as the world's reserve currency, and the threat of the resultant hyper-inflation. We may already be enmeshed in a devolution of our economy leading to a collapse and a chaotic environment conducive to revolution or, at best, a depression equal to the Great Depression. - William Wallace, Admin]

I'm in the process of really getting extra serious about preps and was wondering if anyone's delt with the company "emergency essentials", at www.beprepared.com? If so - are you satisfied? If not - any worthy alternatives? Let's have some voluntary disclaimers if you are in any way affiliated with any of these supplies sites. This topic is definitely related to TFP, as I've some to appreciate many of the posts here and the efforts many have put into sharing information here, and as a 'community' we should try to facilitate preps for any possibile 'happenings'.

#2 Guest_vigilant1_*

Guest_vigilant1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

[quote name='econjon' date='Jan 27 2006, 03:25 PM']
I'm in the process of really getting extra serious about preps and was wondering if anyone's delt with the company "emergency essentials", at www.beprepared.com? If so - are you satisfied?

Hello econjon, I've purchased a few items from them and am pleased
with them. My sister in New York has dealt with them far more than I and swears by them. She has one of their 55gal water containers.
My only caveat with them would be that they don't seem to have any
express shipping options setup.

#3 bobfall

bobfall

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

I think preps are key, if you are in TPF frame of mind.

Mods if this not okay, let us know.

Hillcrest
Local to me, great for a Sunday drive.

Honeyville
Expensive, until you figure shipping.

Readymade
One of my favorites.

I like all of these folks, for bulk food.

Bob

#4 Guest_Overview_*

Guest_Overview_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

I think preps are key, if you are in TPF frame of mind.

Mods if this not okay, let us know.

Hillcrest
Local to me, great for a Sunday drive.

Honeyville
Expensive, until you figure shipping.

Readymade
One of my favorites.

I like all of these folks, for bulk food.

Bob

View Post

Speaking of local, does anyone know a local source for prep stuff (of any kind) in the Houston, Texas area?

#5 Guest_Overview_*

Guest_Overview_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

Overview -

The place I mentioned above http://www.internet-grocer.com/ is just east of Dallas.  A day's trip would do it if you already know what you want.  At 20 MPG it would cost you about $60-$70 for gas.

The admins may want to start separate forum for preps talk, like on the previous site.  For now, as long as everything is kept in this one thread, it should be ok post prep info, tips, etc. here.

View Post

Thanks!

#6 Hiltop

Hiltop

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Survival ,Music

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

worried enough to have shopped several stores to find out of season vegetable seeds ... but also purchased a new tv, so not quite ready to accept the end of the world as we know it :D

#7 pizzaman

pizzaman

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

Here is a tip for those who might be looking to actually move out into the country. See if there are any Amish or Mennonite houses for sale in the area you are looking at. The houses will probably be without electricity, but are otherwise usually in great shape.
My fiance and I are house hunting, and we found a setup that includes: 26 acres of mostly wooded land, 2 story house with full walk-out basement, two large outbuildings, for 135K. Add about 10 to 20 grand to put in the wiring and pipes and it's still a great deal (I've been told that even though the Amish don't use electricity, they will gladly install all the electrical and pipes to a house they are gonna sell....I'm looking to see if this is true). Plus, every Amish property I have looked at all have things such as an old-fashioned hand pump atop the well, gutter downspouts that lead to a rainwater tank, outhouse, etc. In other words, if the power goes off the house is already set up to live off the grid.
If you do this though, make sure you live upwind of any Amish that still live in the area. I'm not being rude, if you've ever smelled a pig farm you know what I mean.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God." Thomas Jefferson
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge. Rush 'Show Don't Tell'
"The best is yet to come..." Barack Obama, re-election victory speech, 11-6-2012

#8 Guest_lynnie_*

Guest_lynnie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

I have placed countless orders with both Emergency Essentials and internet-grocer.com. Both are excellent.

Only the latter has Werling canned meat, canned cheese ( love it!!!!) and canned butter.

order the canned meat directly here:

http://www.werlingandsons.com/

( Internet grocer is cheaper per can than the manufacturer, but UPS is cheaper from Ohio so I pay 10 bucks less a case)

For buckets and #10 cans I'd go with EE depending on where you live. They have a low maximum shipping price even if the cans are higher. I am in NJ and UPS is a killer for most things.

This is a great site:

http://www.survivala...keywords=cookie

Lots of just add water cookies, muffins, etc.

By the way I have concluded that it is worth more to get freezed dried than dehydrated for most things except maybe fruit.

#9 SJL

SJL

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:57 AM

Don't forget to buy bags of salt. An old Russian couple who had fled the Bolshevicks had told me they survived by exchanging their loads of salt for foodstuff at farms.

#10 Guest_J. Adams_*

Guest_J. Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

If you're not aware of it, the best forum for preparedness is:

http://www.timebomb2000.com

#11 NukAlert

NukAlert

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

If you're not aware of it, the best forum for preparedness is:

http://www.timebomb2000.com

View Post

One might also consider radiological preparedness:
http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm

Also:
http://www.NukAlert.com/

#12 Wadi66

Wadi66

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

For buckets and ......I'd go with EE depending on where you live.

Also consider stopping by your local bakery (or anyplace that decorates cakes and cookies) to see it they have empty buckets. Usually the bakery doesn't bother washing them out (yummy yummy). I've picked up about 75 from our local grocery store (over a period of 1 summer) ..... free. Sure beats paying for them.
If a heart beat determines the end of a life, a heart beat should determine the beginning of life.

#13 Guest_lynnie_*

Guest_lynnie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:01 PM

I wanted to just make a comment about Jay Adam's link to Timebomb2000. As one who has over 7,000 posts there I feel I am qualified :)

It began as a prepping for Y2K disaster forum and is still a prepping for disaster forum. The preps archives have everything anybody could every want to know about just about everything, and many topics come up on the main page relevant to the news (hurricanes, bird flu, nukes).

But be forewarned, the place is overrun now with posters who think the commie threat and Muslim threat is propaganda from the evil neocons, who are the greatest threat to the world. Bush and his buddies took down the WTC as a plot to usher in the NWO. "JR Nyquist is a shill for the CIA."

Its a great place for news but you really have to be able to sift the good from the total BS, and there is a whole lot of the BS these days.

We have our intelligent contingent, which is why I haven't given up and left yet. But it is definitely not like TFP for unity of outlook.

Just wanted to let you know.

#14 Guest_Overview_*

Guest_Overview_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

I wanted to just make a  comment about Jay Adam's link to Timebomb2000. As one who has over 7,000 posts there I feel I am qualified  :)

It began as a prepping for Y2K disaster forum and is still a  prepping for disaster forum. The preps archives have everything anybody could every want to know about just about everything, and many topics come up on the main page relevant to the news (hurricanes, bird flu, nukes).

But be forewarned, the place is overrun now with posters who think the commie threat and Muslim threat is propaganda from the evil neocons, who are the greatest threat to the world. Bush and his buddies took down the WTC as a plot to usher in the NWO. "JR Nyquist is a shill for the CIA."

Its a great place for news but you really have to be able to sift the good from the total BS, and there is a whole lot of the BS these days.

We have our intelligent contingent, which is why I haven't given up and left yet. But it is definitely not like TFP for unity of outlook.

Just wanted to let you know.

View Post

I recently got an account there, and I agree a 100% with you. Great Preps stuff, worm-eaten political focus. I'm trying to keep my digital mouth shut, but it's difficult...

B)

#15 Guest_J. Adams_*

Guest_J. Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

Agreed on TB2K. Tis disappointing.

More stuff...

Preparing for nuclear war, vol I
http://www.renewamer.../longman/060209

Nuclear War Survival Skills
http://www.oism.org/nwss/

#16 Guest_sammy_*

Guest_sammy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

Chertoff: Katrina a 'Great Wake-Up Call'

newsmax

Chertoff: the Federal Emergency Management Agency should not be considered the front line of defense in future disasters.

Chertoff said FEMA would play "a supporting role" to local and state authorities. "We all have a role to play in this," he said.

________________________________________________________________________________

(When not if) this Nation is attacked, which will be in several locations at one time, DON,T count on LOCAL,STATE, or FEDERAL help for some time if any.... With illegal immigration in the millions, How many are on the communist army special forces payrole? After an attack, the Local Authorities will be swamped.. The State will be swamped as well. The Federal Authorities will first go underground and try to figure out what is going on...

So prepair for the long haul.There will probably be no Power, city water, or gas of any kind, except what is in the vehicles. After the first week, no food stores. Prepair to live like in the 1700,s, .

This site is great for just about all your outdoor needs and then some. Camping gear, Ammo, food stocks, clothing ect..

sportsmanguide

May GOD bless and keep youall safe.Sam

#17 markolinux

markolinux

• Admin
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

Slightly different topic here....what about vehicles? What's a good "TFP-ready" vehicle to consider? Or does it even matter?

My Jeep is finally succumbing to Mr. Rust, and I'm probably going to be getting something soon. I'm thinking something older (less electronics to fry in case of EMP, and less electronics to interfere with radio comm).

A Hummer would be nice, with all the options, if you know what I mean.... :angry:
-marko-

"...in the end, the Shadow was only a passing thing; there was Light and high beauty forever beyond its reach." --The Return of the King

#18 Guest_J. Adams_*

Guest_J. Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

What are the chances we have a rendezvous point for TFPers in the event that TSHTF?

I'm all alone amongst friends and family in my views. I'd love to save those I love but realistically they would likely never be adequately convinced to strategically relocate. What if TFPers have a plan?

Who is strategically located that we could converge upon in the event global war is imminent?

HiloBill?

What if we had multiple scurry points. For instance, I'm in New England and have 200 acres in a remote location that could be used for safe relo.

Any ideas?

#19 Guest_OCcsdude_*

Guest_OCcsdude_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

That sounds like an interesting idea. If things around on the homefront or abroad ever heated up to a chaotic level, I would not mind having directions to at least one TFP stronghold of sorts, especially since I live in southern california. Maybe we can do this through PM's or something more secure? It obviously would not be smart to post any specific information for the entire world to see.

Btw, I have a '99 Jeep Wrangler myself :angry:.

#20 Guest_sammy_*

Guest_sammy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Slightly different topic here....what about vehicles? What's a good "TFP-ready" vehicle to consider? Or does it even matter?

My Jeep is finally succumbing to Mr. Rust, and I'm probably going to be getting something soon. I'm thinking something older (less electronics to fry in case of EMP, and less electronics to interfere with radio comm).

A Hummer would be nice, with all the options, if you know what I mean.... :angry:

Marko, My jeep is an 85 model, electronic ignition, a rust bucket also, but I love that old jeep. I,ve had that jeep in water up to my knees while driving. the water just flowing through the cab. wouldnt trade that jeep for anything, as long as they make parts for it I,ll keep it running.

In 1980 to 85 they started making electronic ignition. the old distributers had points, a condenser, that would send fire to the spark plugs. Most vehicles from 1980s on,supposedly would be effected by an EMP attack. any vehicles earlyer than that should be ok.

Or you could keep some extra electronic ignition parts for just in case this happend.I,ve also read that if the vehicle was not running at the time of an EMP attack, that it would not effect it at all. one with less electronics would be a good choice as well. I would make it a 4x4, you will probably need that. Also any of the older diesel engine vehicles that have not went to electronics would also be good. just in case I also have 4 mountain bicycles 18 speed, (been trying to get back in shape. Man I,m out of shape...) they could come in handy if all else failed.

May GOD bless and keep you and yours safe.Sam